ACTIONWORKS LLC – Austin, Texas
Boutique entrepreneurship and innovation consultancy
Principal (2019 – Present)
- Advised entrepreneurship and innovation strategy for government-funded incubators and university programs.
- Designed and facilitated leadership development engagements ranging from single-day workshops to multi-month corporate programs for Apple (AppleCare division) and Ariel Corporation.
3 DAY STARTUP (“3DS”) – Austin, Texas
An international 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that builds entrepreneurial capabilities for students and employees at universities, governments, and corporations through accelerated, experiential programming
Chief Innovation Officer (2018 – 2019)
- Designed, developed, and produced blended online/offline curricula and video course content to 250 scale-up CEOs distributed throughout Latin America and the Caribbean for 5-month Young Leaders of the Americas Initiative in partnership with the U.S. Department of State and Meridian International Center.
- Closed sale of and implemented largest licensing deal in company history (Griffith University 6-campus system, Australia).
- Marketed, produced, and delivered “Educator Track” program of sold-out 3DS Global Roundup conference to faculty and staff attending from 12 countries.
Founder/CEO (2010 – 2018)
- Grew operations to 450+ entrepreneurship programs with 250 institutions in 30 countries. 15,000 3DS student alumni started ventures, achieved exits, raised $180 million in capital, and charted entrepreneurial careers.
- Oversaw large-scale federal government grant opportunities domestically (U.S. Department of State) and internationally (Queensland Government, Australia); projects addressed economic development, job creation, and capacity building.
- Developed, sold, and implemented 3DS Enterprise Innovation–a program to grow entrepreneurial cultures and mindsets as well as execute new product, market, and operational innovations. Clients include Dell, BASF, KPMG, Cigna, RetailMeNot, and the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Defined and standardized curriculum across all programmatic offerings and formats ranging from mature (MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Technion) and developing (University of Texas–El Paso, University of Coimbra, Peking University) secondary and higher ed ecosystems.
SUMMER INSTITUTE, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO – Bogotá, Colombia
International summer program at Colombian university ranked #4 nationally hosting students from Colombia, Mexico, Peru, and Ecuador
Visiting Professor (Summer 2018)
- Designed and delivered series of lectures and case studies on effectual entrepreneurship, startup metrics, capital readiness, corporate entrepreneurship, and startup ecosystems for summer school class.
- Advised administration on long term campus entrepreneurship ecosystem goals.
LBJ SCHOOL OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN – Austin, Texas
Graduate public affairs program ranked #9 in the world (U.S. News and World
Adjunct Faculty (2017 – Present)
- Taught graduate-level “Deep Dive: Exploring Issue Ecosystems” course aimed at bringing entrepreneurship and innovation mindsets and approaches to policy and advocacy.
- Developed curriculum and assessment criteria for ecosystem research, business model creation, rapid prototyping, stakeholder management, pitching, and fundraising.
SCHOOL OF BUSINESS AND LAW, CENTRAL QUEENSLAND UNIVERSITY – Rockhampton, Australia
Australian university with 30,000 in-person and distance learning students
Visiting Professor (2017)
- Institutionalized entrepreneurship education capabilities and infrastructure through a series of programs and seminars for an institution at nascent stages of ecosystem development.
- Supported and advised creation of entrepreneurship curriculum for distance learning.
MCCOMBS SCHOOL OF BUSINESS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN – Austin, Texas
Undergraduate business school program ranked #6 in the world (Bloomberg Businessweek)
Instructor (2014 – 2017)
- Taught “Foundations of Entrepreneurship” to undergraduate students across four 50-person cohorts in humanities, science, engineering, and health tracks.
- Designed and implemented scalable mentorship module including mentor orientation and training sessions.
- Directed and trained fellow professors on experiential entrepreneurship education curriculum and best practices.
THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN, McCombs School of Business – Austin, Texas
Master of Business Administration, Full-Time Program (May 2010)
- Concentrations: Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Management
DAVIDSON COLLEGE – Davidson, North Carolina
Bachelor of Arts in English, Minor in Spanish (May 2000)
- Houser, C., Zimbroff, A. The Entrepreneur’s Field Guide. World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. Book under contract.
- Gettens, R., Zimbroff, A., Spotts Jr. H., Houser, C., Taylor, A., Schoonmaker, M. 3 Day Startup: An Intensive Experiential Entrepreneurship Program. American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference (ASEE), June 2016.
- Zimbroff, A., Taylor, A., Houser, C. (2016). Assessment of Learning Outcomes and Attitude Changes From Experiential Entrepreneurship Education. United States Association of Small Business and Entrepreneurship (USASBE) Conference Proceedings, San Diego, January 2016.
- Houser, C., Vu, M., Zimbroff, A., Zhao, J. Creation of a Repeatable, Exportable Entrepreneurship Educational Model. In Science and Technology Policy Institute International (STEPI), Symposium May 2013.
- Hestness, J., Finsterbusch, T., Houser, C., Mercer, E. 3 Day Startup: Molding Student Entrepreneurs for Fun and Nonprofit. In 5th International Technology, Education and Development (INTED) Conference, March 2011.
- Keynote: How Curaçao’s Entrepreneurs and Ecosystem Can Rise Above. U.S. Department of State’s Road to the Global Entrepreneurship Summit, Curaçao, March 2019.
- Willie Nelson and the Story of Austin’s Innovation Ecosystem. Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA) Sustainability Committee Meeting, Austin, February 2019.
- Activating Young Entrepreneurs for Local, Regional, and Global Action. James Cook University, Australia, June 2017.
- Keynote: How the Enterprise Can Practice Startup Innovation. Dell Global Innovation Competition, Dell, Inc. August 2015.
- Keynote: What Startups Can Learn From Rap Music. Entrepreneurship Week, University of Texas, March 2014.
- You Have the Technology. Do You Have a Business? Science and Technology Entrepreneurship Program (STEP) Armenia Startup Bootcamp, CRDF Global, Armenia, August 2012.
- Customer Feedback for Early Stage Startups. Science and Technology Entrepreneurship Program (STEP) Startup Generator Program, CRDF Global, Azerbaijan, July 2012.
- Student Entrepreneurship in Latam and Beyond. Jornadas Fronterizas (Border Workshop), IC2 Institute, November 2011.
- Innovative Approaches to Educating Entrepreneurs. National Association of Seed and Venture Funds (NASVF) Annual Conference, October 2011.
- Using Data to Improve Mentorship and Coaching of Campus Entrepreneurs. Venturewell OPEN Conference, March 2018.
- Real-time Metrics and Evaluation for Mentors. Global Consortium of Entrepreneurship Centers (GCEC). October 2017.
- Innovation in Public Policy: Best Practices in Nonprofit and Entrepreneurship Community Collaboration, Glasshouse Policy, July 2017.
- The China Gathering Capital Factory Roundtable at SXSW. Capital Factory, March 2017.
- Food Entrepreneurs and Ecosystems. Food+City Film Festival, September 2015.
- What Are Business Leaders Really Looking For in a College Graduate? American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO). AACRAO Tech and Transfer Conference, July 2015.
- Entrepreneurship Education in Strange Places. SXSWedu Conference, March 2015.
- Rigorous 3 Day Startup Programs in the Academic Setting to Prepare Nascent Entrepreneurs. National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance (NCIIA) OPEN conference, March 2014.
- Should You Drop Out of School to Start a Company? SXSW Interactive, March 2014.
- Strategic Collaboration Panel: Leveraging Student Entrepreneurship Movements. National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance (NCIIA) University Innovation Fellows Meetup, Google Design Garage, March 2014.
ADVISORY BOARDS AND AWARDS
- Incubator Forum Economic Policy Steering Committee Member, City of Austin Economic Development Department
- 2x Winner, Alumni Entrepreneur of the Year, Longhorn Entrepreneurship Agency, University of Texas
- Invited Member, KALEIDOSCOPE VR (virtual/augmented/mixed reality collaboration platform)
- Advisor: Collective Blue (woman- and minority-focused collaboration network), Newchip (equity crowdfunding startup)
- Notable Alum, University of Texas Social Innovation Initiative